Detect plastics – fast & easy, directly on site
Fast, reliable identification of plastic types is important in recycling
For the efficient processing of plastic waste, recycling companies depend on recognizing and reliably identifying plastics. Only unmixed raw materials achieve a good price and can be reused. Incorrect admixtures not only mean lower sales prices or refusals. They can also cause high damage to plastics processing equipment. Robust on-site solutions that quickly and reliably detect plastics speed up all subsequent operations, saving recycling companies time and money.
How to distinguish plastic types?
Detecting plastics with handheld analyzers
The best solution for identifying plastics is small, mobile near-infrared spectrometers. They provide reliable results directly on site in just a few seconds. The compact handheld spectrometer MicroNIR OnSite-W is just the right solution:
- Easy handling – plastic detection at the push of a button.
- Hold the spectrometer on the plastic, trigger the measurement and immediately read the result. No preparation or sampling required.
- Unambiguous result output.
- The instruments use common nomenclature with familiar abbreviations and dispense with complicated detailed chemical designations. The result is immediately understandable and requires no interpretation, e.g. of the measured spectra.
- Minimal training required.
- Companies can quickly familiarize many employees with the instrument. This is important in an environment with high employee turnover.
- High flexibility due to battery operation.
- Enables hours of work away from any power supply – ideal for flexible use at recycling yards, in production or in the field. Expensive delays in the operating process due to suspect unclarified plastics are a thing of the past.
Immediately analyze all typical plastic types
All common plastic types are already pre-installed on the NIR spectrometer, e.g. PET, PVC, PE, PP, PS, ABS or PU. The user can start immediately, the time-consuming creation of an own plastic reference library is no longer necessary. A total of more than 30 grades and blends can be identified. All sample types typical for the market can be analyzed: Granules, flakes, substitute fuels, finished parts or films. Colored and white plastics can be identified as well as transparent plastics.
Special aspects of plastics recycling
Analyze black plastics.
NIR spectroscopy is not suitable for soot-blackened and very dark samples. Black plastics reflect too little light for analysis. For this application, FTIR spectrometers are the appropriate solution. The instruments work with mid-infrared light and are also safe to operate.
Analyze refuse derived fuels?
In the production of refuse derived fuels (RDF), the chlorine content is crucial for the further process. This can be an important parameter for recycling plants. If the chlorine content is too high, corrosion damage to incinerators will occur. Hand-held X-ray fluorescence analyzers determine the chlorine content directly on site. They are also suitable for screening directly on the fluff.
Do you have questions?
Are you looking for an analyzer for Plastics?
Our team of experts will be happy to support you and answer your questions about application, technology and options.