Revolutionary: Two technologies – one analyzer
The time has come for a revolution: The new GEMINI combines for the first time the advantages of Raman-measurements with the FTIR-technology in just one device. While the Raman-technology is excellently suited to identify light solids and liquids through transparent containers without any contact, the FTIR-technology’s advantages lie in the measurement of dark and fluorescent substances. Both technologies complement each other and can be used to mutually confirm results. Thus, the GEMINI allows for an even larger number of hazardous substances to be recognized directly on-site than one device could ever do on its own.
Additional important features
- Safe use: A “scan assistant” gives clear instructions, thus helping an inexperienced user to assess the sample measured. The display shows very clearly and comprehensibly which measuring method is best suited.
Both measuring methods can be used in a time-delayed manner. An automated stamp allows for safe FTIR-measurements of pressure-sensitive explosives.
- Application specific: Profiles can be created on the device for different kind of scenarios as default settings for operations in conjunction with narcotics, explosives, hazardous substances, etc., thus allowing the user to react more quickly. Further profiles may be created. Additionally, substances requiring particular attention or procedures can be assigned to every profile. Thus, the “tagging” function, already known from the FirstDefender RM and FirstDefender RMX, is also available for FTIR-measurements.
- Shorter response times: Both technologies are immediately ready to use. There are no more waiting times until the second device is operational in order to confirm a result. By simplifying the operation, a faster measurement is possible.
- Less ballast when in use: Reducing some components made the double spectrometer significantly smaller and lighter than two separate devices. The GEMINI weighs only 1,9 kg.
- Easy handling: The touchscreen makes the user interface easy to operate. Large keys are also available when protective gloves have to be used. FTIR is now equipped with red and green LED displays directly on the sample unit in order to easily identify if the background or the sample are being measured.
Areas of application
- Fast identification of unknown substances directly on-site
- Illegal drug laboratories
- Illegal HME laboratories
- Accidents involving hazardous substances
- Everywhere fast results are needed
|Principle of operation||Non-destructive analysis via Raman-spectroscopy and FTIR|
|Size||25,6 cm x 14,6 cm x 6,1 cm|
|Laser||Raman: 785 nm, ± 0,5 nm (excitation wavelength)|
|Spectral range||Raman: 250 cm-1 – 2875 cm-1
FTIR: 4.000 cm-1 – 650 cm-1
|Spectral resolution||Raman: 7 cm-1 – 10,5 cm-1
FTIR: 4 cm-1
|Measurement optics||Raman: fiber optic probe
FTIR: diamond ATR-crystal
|Measurement time||Time delayed, manually or automatically|
|Display||Colored, easily legible touch screen display|
|Data transmission||SPC, TXT or PDF|
|US military standard, protection class||MIL-STD-810G, IP67|
|Transport||Robust, waterproof plastic case|
|Operating conditions||Temperature range: -20 °C bis +50 °C|
|Batteries||Rechargeable lithium polymer batteries
123A SureFire batteries
|External power supply||Power supply unit 100 – 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz|
|Case||Dust and spray water proof, robust plastic case|
|Standard accessories||Robust carry case, power supply unit, SureFire batteries, SD memory card, USB card reader, test objects for easy self-testing of the device|
Do you have questions?
Are you interested in the GEMINI?
Our team of experts is here to advise you and discuss your needs.